Diploma in Library ScienceGuru Nanak Dev University
Price on request
Frequent Asked Questions
Candidates seeking admission in Diploma in Library Science must have passed Ten Plus two (10+2) examination, obtaining at least 50% marks, with English as one of the subjects or equivalent examination of a statutory University or Board. Admission will be made on the basis of merit in accordance with the following criteria.
The Guru Nanak Dev University's Faculty of Arts and Social Science offers Diploma in Library Science course to its students. The course structure for it is as follows:
Paper I : Library Organization and Management
1. Libraries : Different Types of libraries organization, purpose and functions of libraries. Law of library science. Library movement in India after 1947, Library Cooperation.
2. Management of Library Operation : Different sections of the library and their functions; Acquisition , Technical , periodical , Reference , Circulation and Maintenance. Library Rules ( emphasis shall be on practical knowledge of these topics ).
Paper II : Reference Services and Document Bibliography
1. Reference Service : Definition , Need and Purpose of Reference Service , Kinds of Reference Service, Initiation of Fresh readers,Reference and information sources : definition , kinds and uses.
2. Document Bibliography : Definition , Need and Purpose of Document Bibliography , Kinds of Document Bibliography. National Bibliography ( INB and BNB ). Subject Bibliography. Trade Bibliography.
3. Practice :Acquaintance with at least FIFTY important reference sources ( appendix enclosed).
Paper III : Organization of Library Materials :
Part I : Library Classification ( Theory )
Library Classification : Definition , need and purpose of library classification , fundamental categories and fact analysis, notation, call number, book number and collection number. Introduction to Dewey Decimal Classification and Colon Classification.
Part II : Library Cataloguing ( Theory )
Library Catalogue : Definition , need and purpose of library catalogue , physical forms of catalogue. Types of catalogue , kinds of entries and their functions. Parts of entries, subject headings and chain procedure. Filling of entries
Note : Elementary Knowledge about its above topics is to be imparted.
Paper IV : Library Classification ( Practice )
Part I : Colon Classification
Part II : Dewey Decimal Classification
Paper V : Library Cataloguing ( Practice )
Part I Classified Catalogue Code
Part II Anglo American Cataloguing Rules