JR. DIPLOMA IN HINDUSTANI VOCAL MUSIC (Part Time)Banaras Hindu University
Price on request
10 Basic Alankars.
Two Alankars each in Tals of six, ten, twelve and sixteen beats.
Identification of Notes (Seven shuddha Swaras and Komal 'Ga', 'Ni')
1. Ragas for Study : (a) Bhupali (b) Durga (c) Brindavani Sarang (d) Khamaj (e) Kafi
(i) One Sargam Geet in each of the above mentioned Ragas.
(ii) One Lakshan Geet in any two of the above mentioned Ragas.
(iii) Three Madhya Laya Khayals in remaining three of the above mentioned
(iv) Four Alaps and four taans in any two of the Madlhyalaya Khayals.
2. One Dhrupad in any of the above mentioned Ragas.
3. Padhant / Citation of following Talas with their Bols, Divisions, Talis and Khalis.
(a) Kaharava (b) Dadra (c) Jhaptal (d) Ektal (e) Chartal (f) Trital
4. Knowledge of ½ Laya (on hand only)
5. Playing Tanpura.
1. Definitions and Explanation of Musical terms such as:
Naad (2 kinds &3 properties), Dhwani, Sangeet, Swar, Laya, Raag, Taal, Shuddh- Vikrit, Chal-Achal, Mandra-Madhya-Taar,Poorvang – Uttarang, Saptak - Ashtak, Sthayee – Antara, Aroha- Avaroha, Raag Jati, Tal Jati, Alap-Tan, Varn, Alankar, Pakad, Bandish, Vilambit-Madhya-Drut, Matra, Theka, Vibhag, Tali, Khali, Sam.
2. (a) Writing a Madhya Laya Khayal or Dhrupad or a Lakshangeet in notation from any of the above meationed five Ragas.
(b) Writing any of the above mentioned six talas with ½ Layakari.
3. (a) Raga Vivaran of above mentioned five Ragas.
(b) Tala Vivaran of above mentioned six Talas.
4. Essay on any general topic related to music.
IInd Year Diploma
1. Knowledge of Previous years course (Five Ragas and six Talas and all theory portion) is essential.
2. Ten more Alankars in Prescribed talas of Ist and IInd year.
3. Identification of all the twelve notes.
4. Ragas for Study : (a) Bihag ( b) Desh (c) Yaman (d) Bhimpalasi (e) Bageshri (f) Tilang (g) Bhairavi
(i) One Madhya Laya Khayal in each of the above mentioned Ragas.
(ii) Six Alaps and Six Taans in any four of the above mentioned Ragas.
5. One Dhrupad and one Dhamar in any two of the above mentioned Ragas.
6. One Tarana in any of the above mentioned Ragas.
7. Padhant / Citation of following Taalas with their Bols, Divisions, Talis and Khalis.
(a) Tivra (b) Rupak (c) Sultal (d) Vilambit-Ektai, (e) Dhamar.
8. Knowledge of (Laya ( On hand only)
( 16 )
9. Knowledge of Layakari for Dhrupad / Dhamar Singing.
10. Identification of all the Ragas and Talas of Ist year and IInd year course.
1. Definitions and explanations of some more Musical terms such as:
Graha- amsh – Nyasa, Vaadi – Samvadi –Vivadi –Anuvadi, Shadja –Madhyam Samvad, Shadja- Pancham Samvad, Shabdalap –Boltan, Avartan, Alpatva- Bahutva, Swar sangati, Rag Samaya, Avirbhava –Tirobhav, Sparsh (Kan) Swar.
2. Life Sketch and contribution of :
(a) Tansen (b) Pt.Omkarnath Thakur
3. Knowledge about the parts of Tanpura and its tuning.
4. (a) Writing a Madhya Laya Khayal/ Dhrupad / Dhamar in above mentioned seven ragas (with small Alap – taans)
(b) Writing any of 6 +5 i.e. 11 prescribed taalas with (&) laya kari.
5. (a) Raga Vivaran of 5+7 i.e. 12 prescribed Ragas.
(b) Tala Vivaran of 6 +5 i.e. 11 prescribed Taalas.
(c) Comparison of all the 12 Ragas and 11 taalas.
6. Essay on any general Topic related to Music.
IIIrd Year Diploma
1. Knowledge of previous two years course (twelve Ragas and eleven taalas & all the theory portion of both the years) is essential.
2. Elementary knowledge of tuning Tanpura.
3. Ragas for Study :
(a) Kedar (b) Malkauns (c) Bhairav (d) Hameer (e) Bahar (f) Tilak kamod (g) Jaunpuri (h) Shankara
(i) One Vilambit Khayal with two alaps and two taans from any of the above mentioned Ragas.
( 17 )
(ii) One Drut Khayal in each of the above mentioned eight Ragas, which may be in Trital/ Ektal/ Rupak/ Jhaptal or Adachartal
(iii) Eight alaps and eight taans in any five of the above mentioned Ragas.
4. One Dhrupad and one Dhamar in any of the above mentioned Ragas with Dugun, Tigun, Chaugun laykari.
5. Two taranas in any of the eight above mentioned Raga.
6. Padhant / Citation of (a) Jhumra (b) Adachartal (c) Tilwada (d) Dhumali (e) Deep Chandi
7. Knowledge of 1/3 lay a (on hand only)
8. Knowledge of (1/3) Layakari for Dhrupad & Dhamar singing.
9. Identification of all the 20 Ragas and 16 Taalas of three years Diploma course.
THEORY COURSE :
Paper –I : Applied Theory
Unit I Vivaran of 20 Prescribed Ragas and their comparative study.
Unit II Vivaran of 16 Prescribed Taalas and their comparative study.
Reading and writing of Notation (Vilambit, Drut, Dhrupad, Dhamar and Tarana with Alap, Taans) of the prescribed Ragas and Talas with the prescribed layakaries.
Unit III Essay on any general topic related to music
Unit IV Life Sketches and contributions of
(i) Pt. V.D. Paluskar
(ii) Pt. V.N. Bhatkande
Paper – II
Unit I Definition and explanations of some more Musical terms such as:
Sa- Shuddha Ga and Sa-Komal Ga Samvad, Gamak, Meend, Khatka, Murki, Ras-Prakriti & Bhav of Raga
Unit II Merits and Demerits of Vocalist
Unit III Four Categories of Indian Musical Instruments.
( 18 )
Unit IV Comparison of Dhrupad and Khayal Forms.
Unit V Comparison of Pt. V.D. Paluskar and V-N-Bhadkhande Notation system.