PG diploma course in EcotourismSchool of Environmental Sciences
Price on request
- Post Graduate Diploma
- Distance learning
The concept of ecotourism is one of ambiguity and dispute. There is no universal definition for ecotourism, nor is there a certifying agency. A common misconception is that ecotourism is just nature based tourism, the act of surrounding oneself with natures little wonders. The truth is far more complex. Ecotourism has to be both ecologically and socially conscious. Its goal is to minimize the impact that tourism has on an area through cooperation and management and in some case it even encourages travelers to have a positive impact on their new surroundings.
A commonly accepted definition of ecotourism is:
"Responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well being of local people"*
Ideally, ecotourism should...
· Minimize the negative impacts of tourism
· Contribute to conservation efforts
· Employ locally and give money back to the community
· Educate visitors about the local environment and culture
· Cooperate with local people to manage natural areas
Provide a positive experience for both visitor and host