B.Com. Marketing ManagementSt. Xavier's College, Kolkata
Price on request
B.Com. Marketing Management
OPTIONAL PAPER I: PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING
1. Introduction: nature, scope and importance of marketing; Marketing concepts -
traditional and modern; Scanning the Marketing Environment -analyzing needs &
trends in the macro-environment, identifying & responding to the forces;
International Marketing - globalisation & its impact.
2. Market Segmentation: concept and importance; bases of market segmentation;
factors determining choice of bases.
3. Product Planning and Development: concept and types of product; Product Life
Cycle; strategies adopted in PLC; brand decisions; packaging strategies.
4. Pricing: importance of pricing in marketing mix; factors in determining pricing;
designing pricing policies and strategies.
5. Promotion: managing promotion mix - advertising, personal selling, sales
promotion and public relations.
6. Marketing Channels: channel design decisions; channel effectiveness;
wholesaling and retailing; logistics management - objectives & decisions.
OPTIONAL PAPER II: MARKETING COMMUNICATION & ADVERTISING
1. Marketing Communication: developing effective communications; communication
objectives target audience; channel determination; managing integrated marketing
2. Developing and Managing Advertising Programme: types of advertising;
functions; advertising process; advertising objectives; advertising budget.
3. Creativity in Advertising: copy; layout; theme; advertising campaign ; scientific
4. Advertising Media: different types of media; media selection; measuring media
5. Advertising Effectiveness: concept; different types of tests.
6. Sales Promotion and Public Relations: sales promotion - importance; tools and
techniques; sales promotion campaign; Public Relations - nature and scope;
evaluating public relations
OPTIONAL PAPER III: SALES ORGANISATION & MANAGEMENT
1. Sales Management: concept, objectives; Sales Organisation- structure; different
models of sales organization; setting up the sales organisation.
2. Sales Forecasting: need & significance; methods.
3. Designing the Sales Force: objectives; estimating man-power requirement.
4. Managing the Sales Force: recruitment and selection; training ; compensation ;
motivation ;evaluation of sales force performance.
5. Sales Control: steps involved in sales control system; tools and techniques of sales
control; sales budget; sales audit.
6. Personal Selling & Salesmanship: Buyer-Seller Dyads; theories of selling; types of
personal selling objectives
OPTIONAL PAPER IV: CONSUMER BEHAVIOUR & MARKET RESEARCH
1. Introduction to Consumer Behaviour: concept; applying consumer behaviour
knowledge; modelling consumer behaviour ; market segmentation; ethics in
2. Determinants of Consumer Behaviour: consumer as an individual - needs,
motivation, personality, perception, learning, attitude, communication, persuasion;
consumers in their social & cultural settings - the family, social class, crosscultural
3. Consumer's Decision-making Process: personal influence & opinion leadership
process; diffusion of innovations; consumer decision-making.
4. Consumer Behaviour & Society: health-care marketing; political marketing; social
marketing; environmental marketing; public policy & consumer protection.
5. Introduction to Market Research: nature and importance; marketing information
system and market research; major techniques.
6. Methodology in Market Research: developing research objectives; primary data
collection methods; designing primary research, analysis, report preparation
OPTIONAL PAPER V: RURAL MARKETING & SERVICES MARKETING
1. Introduction to Rural Marketing: nature and scope; rural vs. urban marketing;
understanding rural marketing environment and its impact on marketing
2. Rural Consumer and Environment: characteristics; attitude and behaviour; buying
pattern of rural consumers; rural marketing strategies - segmentation, product
planning, packaging, branding, pricing, promotion and logistics in rural markets.
3. Marketing of Agricultural Inputs: role of Government and other organisations in
marketing of agricultural products; co-operative marketing; public distribution
system; agricultural marketing in India -problems and prospects.
4. Introduction to Services Marketing: services - types, nature, characteristics;
understanding service customers; reasons for growth - Indian scenario.
5. Services Marketing Management: Service marketing mix: elements - service
products, pricing in services, service promotion, place in services, people in
services; managing service quality; relationship marketing - concept, application,
6. Services Marketing in Non-profit and Profit Organisations: tourism & travels;
transportation & logistics; financial services; information technology &
communication services; media services; health care services; professional
services, educational services.