Diploma Program in Jewellery Designing (Basic)Gemmological Institute of India
Frequent Asked Questions
Minimum eligibility is SSC. However, gemmology is a professional course. It has more of practical application rather than theoretical. If one has working knowledge of English, it is sufficient to take up the courses.
What the Course Covers: The course is programmed in such a manner that the students do not need to have any pre-requisite knowledge of drawing or designing. They will be taught from the very basics to the advance level of designing required for the jewellery manufacturing units. The course also covers designs for various major markets around the globe. Duration
The course is divided into 2 parts viz. (1) Basic - 2 ½ months and (2) Advance - 3½ months.
COURSE CONTENT :
- Introduction to Creativity & Designing:
- Introduction to technical drawings, concept of -Id, 2d, 3d, coordinate axis, various 2d and 3d figures, intersection of solids, orthographic projection of various 2d and 3d figures (simple and complex). · Counter Sketching & Drawing of Various Cuts
- Rendering of Various Cuts & Cabochons
-Introduction to various Gemstones: Use of various gemstones with their physical and optical properties reference to their use in jewellery, calculation of weight of the gemstones used in design. Various styles for setting of gemstones in metals.
- Various Textures of Gold: Use of various metals and its use in designing.
- Metal Rendering & Setting
- Basic views such as plan, front, side views of Jewellery : Isometric views of rings, earrings pendants and bracelets, various geometric objects 45 degree views of different designs sectional views of different design, modification and improvement of existing design.
- Basic Designs for various international markets : Especially the following American, German, Japanese, Middle East, Far East, Australian, Italian, French, Russian, Spanish, designing from inspiration and various sources of inspiration.
- General ideas of Jewellery Manufacturing : casting, various styles of joints etc. designing up to the final stage, quality control and linking, approximate gold weight and its cost, and craftsman charges etc.
- Preparation of Portfolio